In Saskatchewan today, there are classrooms with 35 or more students.
More than 350 full-time educational assistant jobs were eliminated by this government.
Students aren’t getting the one-on-one attention they need, and in a classroom that’s crowded, that’s not fair to anyone.
Some schools are crumbling and desperately need repairs, and classes have been forced into hallways, art-supply closets and even boot rooms.
Despite years of windfall revenues, new schools that are desperately needed were not built. Now, this government's only plan is to plow ahead with a privatized, rent-a-school P3 scheme that costs more, takes longer, and hands control of schools to corporations. For example, a corporation from Milwaukee will be responsible for maintenance of 18 schools.
Cam Broten’s New Democrats are committed to:
- Tackling bullying and making our schools much safer with a meaningful anti-bullying strategy.
- Giving all kids the one-on-one attention they need and deserve by making sure there’s enough help in classrooms, including educational assistants.
- Fixing overcrowding by working with teachers to set appropriate caps on class sizes.
- Repairing leaking roofs and crumbling gymnasiums.
- Delivering on a responsible, transparent plan for new schools in growing neighbourhoods.
- Solving the inequities in education for First Nations children.
- Respecting and consulting with teachers and educators every step of the way.
Add your voice to the call for making our kids’ classrooms a priority.
Photo: Phil Roeder