After he was appointed earlier this year, Brad Wall’s new environment minister wouldn’t even admit that climate change is real. Wall even has a candidate that says climate change is a “myth” based on “witchcraft reasoning.”
No wonder the Sask. Party has cut climate change funding by 83% since 2009.
They slashed emission-reduction targets, watered-down SaskPower’s energy efficiency and conservation targets and cut programs such as the Go Green Fund and the EnerGuide for Houses energy-efficiency program.
They’re continuing to delay the implementation of the Saskatchewan Technology Fund, a carbon-pricing mechanism for major emitters, which they promised six years ago.
And they have repeatedly cut funding for environmental assessment and environmental protection.
Our beautiful province can’t afford four more years of this, and families that want to make green choices in their daily lives can’t afford it, either!
Ryan Meili's New Democrats are committed to:
- Restoring climate change and environmental assessment and protection programs.
- Ramping up our use of clean, renewable power.
- Protecting native prairie and community pastures.
- Continuing with responsible development of all our natural resources, with stringent triple-bottom-line assessments, and strict regulation of all projects, based on the best science.
- Implementing a technology fund and a price on carbon for major emitters, with compliance payments used to fund innovation here in Saskatchewan.