REGINA—The Saskatchewan New Democrats set the rules and timing for a leadership contest at Provincial Council on February 26th. The new leader will be elected at a leadership convention in Regina in late June, 2022.
All Saskatchewan New Democratic Party members in good standing will be eligible to vote online or by mail-in ballot.
Registration to become a leadership candidate will require:
- being a member in good standing of the Saskatchewan New Democratic Party;
- providing the signatures of no fewer than 100 Saskatchewan NDP members, half of whom are women or gender diverse, from at least twenty provincial constituencies;
- providing a non-refundable registration fee of $4,000;
- receiving approval from the Saskatchewan NDP to seek the leadership; and
- limiting campaign expenditures to a maximum of $200,000.
More information will be provided as the contest gets underway and dates are finalized.
At the same meeting, Saskatchewan New Democrats unanimously approved a solidarity motion with the people of Ukraine, as well as all Saskatchewan people with friends and family in the region.
The Provincial Council is the governing body of the Saskatchewan NDP between conventions, and includes representatives from each provincial constituency, representatives from the party’s diversity committees, and the provincial executive.